What is an MC Number?

FMCSA operating authority is alternatively known as an “MC” (Motor Carrier), “FF” (Freight Forwarder), or “MX” (Mexican Certificate) number, depending on the specific type of authority granted. Unlike the process for obtaining a USDOT Number, a company might require multiple operating authorities to align with its intended business operations. Operating Authority defines the scope of operations a company is allowed to conduct and the type of cargo it is permitted to transport.

Who needs an MC Number?

Companies that do the following are required to have interstate operating authority (MC number) in addition to a DOT number:

Authorized for-hire carrier?

An authorized for-hire motor carrier is responsible for transporting passengers, regulated property, or household goods belonging to others in exchange for compensation. If you operate as a for-hire carrier, it’s important to note that, in addition to obtaining a USDOT number, you must also secure operating authority, often referred to as an MC number.

Exemption for-hire carrier?

An exempt for-hire motor carrier specializes in transporting exempt (unregulated) property owned by others in exchange for compensation. Exempt commodities typically consist of unprocessed or unmanufactured goods, as well as items of low value, such as fruits and vegetables. For a comprehensive list of exempt and non-exempt commodities, please consult the relevant Administrative Ruling.

Private motor carrier?

A private motor carrier transports its own cargo, usually, as a part of a business that produces, uses, sells and/or buys the cargo that is being hauled. A private motor carrier transports its own goods and is required to have a USDOT number but does not need operating authority (MC number).

What is the status of my MC Number?

To check the status of your MC Number, you can click here and perform a search using your name, USDOT number, or MC number.